Hydraulic tensioning is the ideal method for tightening bolted connections. Hydraulic tensioning eliminates inaccuracies and helps achieve correct bolt loading in critical connections. At HTI, we’ve been building hydraulic tensioners and nuts since 1986.
What is a Flange Tensioner?
Flange tensioners are often called split-ring tensioners as they come in two or more pieces meant to operate together and form a complete ring once assembled on the flange.
HTI's standard hydraulic tensioners are designed to fit most ANSI and API flanged connections; you can certainly use our standard tensioners with flanges. When tensioning systems with multiple studs, even loading in each stud is important. This is especially true in applications with gaskets, such as flanges.
With HTI's flange tensioners, this can be achieved easily with a (typically) two-piece system that easily fits around the pipe and tensions all flange simultaneously.
Uniform Stud Loading
Even loading in each stud is important, especially in applications with gaskets. HTI recommends multiple hydraulic stud tensioners for applications with more than one stud. These hydraulic tensioners are inner connected to each other and to the pump. As the hydraulic pressure increases, the tension in each stud is the same, and the flange comes together simultaneously and evenly.
Flange tensioners also work well with compact flanges that don’t leave enough room for a traditional tensioner. They also reduce the cycle time for tensioning a flange connection as all tensioning is done in a single operation, vs many for a single tensioner.
Benefits of flange tensioners
- Highly accurate and even fastening – flange tensioners provide a repeatable, highly accurate fastening connection that tensions the entire flange evenly and at the same time. Flange tensioners are far more accurate than other tools like hydraulic torque wrenches.
- Quick – Flange tensioners install easily and fasten an entire flange in one go, saving buckets of time versus a single tensioner or other tools like manual or hydraulic torque wrenches.
- Connections between neighboring tensioners in each unit have hydraulic connections on the interior of the device, saving time setting up additional hydraulic hoses.
- Flange tensioner models available for all flanges matching ANSI and API specifications, as well as others.
Round manways, or maintenance access ports such as for nuclear steam generators, can also benefit from HTI’s flange-style tensioners.
Features of Flange tensioners
- Trouble–free, No–Leak, Ultra-Reliable, Lo–Friction Seals
- Overstroke Indicator - fail-safe design if accidentally over-extended
- Extra–Long Working Stroke available (up to 1 inch)
- Compact and Lightweight Design
- Optional, Captive Nut Rotating Socket
- Available in a variety of finishes [link to finished page] and with anti-slip surfaces on key components.
We can design a flange tensioning system to fit your exact specification, including vertically or radially limited applications. HTI tensioners can be designed for imperial or metric-sized studs.
Custom Engineered Tensioners Since 1986
HTI has been designing engineered solutions to your toughest bolt tensioning problems since 1986! You can choose from one of our standard catalog sizes above, or we can design a custom fixed tensioner for any application when a standard model won’t work. HTI tensioners can be designed for imperial or metric-sized studs, high loads, high temperatures, large stud sizes, or corrosive environments. Our multi-unit tensioning systems can make easy work of large bolted systems, and our automated tensioning systems can reduce labor and increase throughput in high-volume manufacturing applications. Contact us to start the process of getting the right tensioning solution for your flange or any other application.